Sunday, January 19, 2020

South Florida for December? Yes, Please

December is a rugged month for me.  I knew when I choose to leave behind my family and travel all winter, there would be some hard days, and there were. 

December 4th was the moving day. I left The Keys and moved north about 130 miles to TY Park in Hollywood, FL. 

There are several Broward County parks in this area with campgrounds. I have now visited them all and stayed at three of them. My favorite is Topeekeegee Yugnee Park. Everyone just calls it TY Park. 

TY has a lake, swimming pool, tennis courts, miles of walking paths, and a lot more. 
The first weekend I was here, Ralph took me to meet his parents and then out for Cuban food. If you've never had Cuban coffee, you must. 
My tiny Christmas tree.
My reservation at TY was from December 4th through the 17th. That meant I'd have to move on my birthday. That made me so sad because I LOVE my birthday.  Fortunately, I snagged a couple more days and relocated on the 22nd, the second anniversary of Rob's death. That move kept me busy on an otherwise difficult day. Ralph was off work, so he helped me get moved and set-up. 
Murphy is such a trooper. He's almost always calm and quiet. Until there's a squirrel or some other wildlife. Then he uses his strong, 80# body to move me to wherever he wants to go. It's a challenge, to say the least. 
We got Bridget wedged into her tiny, back-in space at Easterlin Park and prepared to wait out the next few days. They were predicting a lot of rain. I had another reservation lined up at TY Park starting on Christmas Day.  

When we woke up the next morning, nearly the entire campground was flooded. It rained so much overnight there was water everywhere. The only dry spot was under the trailer. As you can see, my portable satellite antenna drowned that night. It's that white dome by the truck. This day would have been Rob's 65th birthday. 
Instead of walking Murphy that morning we went wading. Everywhere we tried to walk ended abruptly in deep, standing water.

It took a full 36 hours for the water to recede enough for a dry walk. However, the mosquitoes were relentless. 

Christmas Day! We got to move back to TY Park. It was a busy day but I had planned it that way. Staying busy keeps the sadness at bay. 

After moving I had a long video chat with my family and watched the kids open their Christmas presents. Technology is a beautiful thing. 
Ralph got Murphy a gnome for Christmas. He loves it!
I moved yet again on New Year's Day. I like this park very much too. I'll write more about it next time. This is the view from my door. 


  1. Glad things are working out for you. Don't grow webbed feet. lol

    1. If I were going to have webbed feet, I'd have developed them in Seattle!