Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Update on Our Late Summer and Fall Happenings

It's been almost two months since I wrote a blog post. Those months have been absolutely filled with medical appointments of every specialty.  

We've spent a lot of time talking and thinking about reasonable travel plans for the winter. Given Rob's declining health situation, making a marathon trip around the country is completely out of the question. It's just too much for him these days.

We thought we might just head down to Arizona after Christmas for some sun and warm temperatures. However, as I write this, Rob is in the hospital with pneumonia. 

It's tricky to explain how and why pneumonia is so much worse for him than an average, generally healthy person. It exacerbates his other medical conditions. His CHF (congestive heart failure) has flared up now and he has fluid in his lungs along with phenomena. If the doctors don't get the CHF in check it will cause his kidney function to decline which may push him over the edge onto permanent dialysis. 

So, travel plans are on hold until we see what comes of this illness for Rob.  

We are realizing we need an exit strategy sooner rather than later. When we started this journey five and a half years ago we sold our house and pared down our possessions to what we could carry with us in our RV. We don't regret that decision but all good things must come to an end.

I've been spending mornings and early afternoons at the hospital and coming home for the later afternoon and evening so Murphy and I can hang out and get some exercise. The weather has been great the last couple of days so we have been able to get outside.

Meanwhile, life continues on as we ponder our future.