Sunday, July 31, 2016

We're Melting!... in the Little RV

We began out trip on Thursday departing Portland and arriving in La Grande, Oregon about 4:00 PM. As we moved east the temperatures increased. The highest temperature we saw was 99 degrees. 

Most of our travel with George has been in Fall, Winter and Spring so we have never experienced this heat while on the move. I was completely unprepared.

About two hours into our trip we noticed it was getting mighty hot in the front of the motorhome. I was feeling heat radiating from the engine compartment in front of my legs and the dog house which is immediately above the engine.  We have a gas motorhome and the engine is in the front. 

After we stopped and set-up I noticed the tile flooring around the dog house was also so hot I couldn't stand on it in my bare feet. Poor Murphy lays on his bed right in front of the dog house while we are traveling and he was pretty miserable too.

After we got all set-up and settled in I started looking online for help with this problem. I discovered we are not alone. I went to the Forest River Owners Group forums and found this is a common problem.  One owner solved it by insulating the inside of the dog house and the surrounding area with an engine blanket. This is the one he used.


When I opened the latches on the dog house I wasn't able to see much because part of the dash has to be removed before it can be opened fully. I did see there is some insulation in there but it doesn't go to the edges and there is nothing around the fiberglass lip inside. I ordered one of the engine blankets and it is scheduled to arrive on Monday. My hope is the additional insulation will make the drive cooler and more comfortable. Dare we hope for quieter?  

The installation will be a process because I have to take part of the dash apart to get the dog house all the way open and install the insulation. 

The campground in La Grande was wide open and beautifully kept. Murphy enjoyed the grass very much.


We arrived in Caldwell, Idaho yesterday greeted by a temperature of 101 degrees! Miserably hot if you ask me. Even Murphy was a bit listless. They have an off leash dog park here at the RV park so Murphy can run and play with other dogs. He loves it.

We'll be here for four nights because we have an appointment for a wheel alignment on Tuesday in Boise.  

Wednesday we test the steering and the anti-heat measures. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

  1. I am glad the motor in my RV is in the rear. Even makes for a quieter ride. Of course the dang generator is in the front and if I want to run the roof AC's going down the road I have to run the generator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy,
      I'm still shocked that you can run the generator while you're driving. I never would have thought to do that. The things you learn on the internet!
      Juley

      Delete
  2. I'm in Boise right now, visiting with my daughter. I'm staying at the Hi Valley RV park in Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,
      Well that's exciting! What are the chances? Maybe we should try to meet up??
      Juley

      Delete
  3. While the heat leaking out right by your feet sounds pretty awful, at least it was a spot that you noticed the issue right away! While you're at it with putting in the insulation, it might be a good idea to take an air compressor and just clean out the whole shebang just in case something is clogged!

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete