Saturday, March 5, 2016

Home Again to the Little RV

Daddy's Home!
Rob came home from the nursing facility on Thursday. Murphy is his shadow. I had no idea how much he was missing Rob until he got home.  

Rob is doing better. He's getting around fairly well and will continue to have Physical and Occupational Therapy here at home for a short period of time. 

We saw Rob's kidney doctor about 8 days ago. He has reviewed the labs and progress notes and ordered more lab tests, (of course).  He feels there is a good chance Rob might be able to come off dialysis. We were stunned, but in a good way. Rob still has some kidney function and he is making a fair amount of urine. The question is whether his kidneys are filtering out enough of the toxins to keep him stable without dialysis. So, for now we wait and hope and go to dialysis every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5 PM to 9 PM.

I won't sugar coat it, dialysis is rough. The atmosphere at the center is sad, not because of the staff but the circumstances and the patients. Physically makes Rob really cold, weak and nauseated.

We had quite a wind storm here in the park the other day. I was gone during most of the strongest winds but when I came home there was a very large tree branch where I park my car. How's that for a stroke of luck?




My Dad does a lot of woodworking and makes some amazing things. He recently made me a yarn bowl. I think it's gorgeous! Now my yarn will stay put!



I got myself a new gadget the other day. If you spend any time in an RV you know space is at a premium. Especially counter space. Whenever I need to use my stove I lose 2 1/2 linear feet of counter space. That leaves me with about a 1' wide by 2' deep space for the rest of my cooking. 
This beauty is an induction burner and an 8 quart stainless pot. I replaced my slow cooker and fry pan and it fits where I used to keep them, in the oven. It doesn't put out a lot of heat, has a much smaller footprint, and is much more precise. I can even cook outside with it. 

Speaking of cooking, the dialysis diet is a whole new world. We are used to low carbohydrate, low sodium living. Now we are learning to avoid potassium and phosphorous. So many of the things we thought were good choices aren't any more. The dialysis center is a great resource for information and they have given us numerous handouts and guides. It's just a matter of learning what to avoid at this point. 

A couple of days ago I noticed the cherry trees are in bloom and the daffodils are coming right along too. Spring is almost here!

1 comment:

  1. I hope Rob does get off dialysis. Kidney problems are no picnic, but there is always hope. I have CKD and just had to comment; as bad as dialysis might seem to be, it could be much worse.

    You seem to really enjoy your little RV! I have often wondered what it would be like to live in one.

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete