Friday, February 19, 2016

Still Up in the Air in the Little RV

...and we're waiting, and waiting for a release date. Rob is still in the hospital and continues to improve while having dialysis. There have been some hiccoughs but for the most part we're getting our ducks in a row. 

The dialysis port he had surgically installed on Monday is not working very well. It has a slow flow rate and it's bothering him. It's in his chest and runs up and into his neck. He can feel it when he swallows and is causing some feelings of claustrophobia. They are debating placing a different port before letting him go. We should know more about that today.

We are working with case managers here in Portland and back at home in Washington to set up a regular dialysis appointment. The first appointment time they gave us was on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 PM until 2 AM. 

That's at 9 in the evening until 2 in the morning three nights a week. I was speechless if you can imagine. Not only would dialysis take over his life but completely change our daily lives to the point of sleeping during the day and being up all night. As if having to use a machine to stay alive weren't difficult enough. 

Yesterday we were given a new appointment time of 5:45 PM until 9:45 PM which is much better but I am still hoping for something during normal business hours and will continue to pursue a better time. 

The medical team here has recommended Rob be released to a Skilled Nursing Facility for a week or two before he comes home. He's weak and needs some physical therapy. He has agreed to go so after he is released we will move up to Washington and he will check into the facility (I think). There is a possibility we will stay here for skilled nursing then move in a couple of weeks. 

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for all the trouble, health and otherwise, that you all are having. Hope things smooth out for you real soon and you can reclaim most of your life. Thanks for keeping us posted.