Thursday, April 30, 2015

Seven Week Update on Rob and Another Move

WARNING: This is a long post about a very bad experience. If you are looking for a great travel adventure, don't read it. 

Late last week Rob was deemed well enough to be moved out of the hospital and into a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF). After a lot of paperwork and negotiation the SNF and our insurance company have come to an agreement and Rob was moved yesterday. 

The beginning of his stay there didn't go well. I hate to sound like a malcontent but what an awful place. We arrived around 4:00 PM and he was moved to a double room which is so small you can barely move around the bed. The paint on the walls in his room is peeling and there is a huge patched area that has yet to be painted after a (hopefully) recent repair. It was also very hot in the room. It was pretty depressing from the start but those are thing we can deal with for a short time. 

What was really unsettling is the lack of assistance we experienced. We tried to get a bedside commode for two hours and I had to go into the hall and insist that someone get one. I did that twice and after another 20 minutes someone finally brought one in. All the while Rob's anxiety level rose to the point where his breathing was getting labored. We asked for medication for his anxiety around 5:30 PM. The response we got was "I'll tell the nurse". An hour later we had heard nothing about getting his medication so we asked again. The response was "I'll tell the nurse". Around 7 PM the admission coordinator came in to check on us. He said he was here to make sure Rob got what he needed and was there anything he could do for us. We told him about our concerns and the medication and he went to check on the status. When he returned he assured us Rob would have his medication "very soon". 

I finally left to go home at about 8:00 PM because visiting hours were over. I have never felt so guilty in my life as I did leaving him there alone. To add insult to injury when I tried to leave there was a police car parked behind the truck and I had to go back inside to ask them to move so I could get out. The young officer was quite rude, sarcastically asked if he was in my space and wanted to know which car was mine. I pointed and said, "that big dually over there." He moved, I left. 

When I got home and was going into the Little RV, I stepped on our freestanding step that we keep at the bottom of the outside steps and a leg broke off. Sure glad that didn't happen when Rob was using it.

Rob called me at 10:30 PM to tell me he still didn't have his medication and most of his night medications had to be ordered from a pharmacy so who knows when they will arrive. When I left the admissions coordinator gave me his card and told me to call his cell number at any time if we needed help with something or had concerns. I called, left a message and never heard back. 

Today I will put on my big girl panties, paste a smile on my face and go back to that awful place and cheer my husband on so we can get him out of there as soon as humanly possible. 

12 comments:

  1. Find another place to take care of him and get him out of there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, this is the only facility in Tucson that can handle Rob's oxygen requirements. Otherwise we'd be outta there!

      Delete
  2. I can't seem to comment on your blog anymore. Three comments have gone into a black hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I checked the Blog black hole and your messages aren't there either. ;)

      Delete
    2. I think I'm having trouble with my google account.

      Delete
  3. Well, that one finally appeared!

    Hope today was a better day. Let us know if you had to get rough and tough. My family had to do that with a nursing home we placed my father in several years ago, and we moved him the next day. Hope Rob is being better cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again! We had a better day today. Rob is doing really well in PT and OT. His oxygen requirements are decreasing and he stood for 3 minutes today. He can get back and forth to the bathroom with a walker and a supervisor.
      I have been firm and persistent or bossy and pushy depending on your perspective.

      We got him into a different room today and that is making a huge difference. I'm very hopeful that he'll be home in the next week.
      Juley

      Delete
    2. So glad to hear things are slowly improving. Glad you got him in a better room.

      Delete
  4. So glad that things are going better. It is so hard to be the advocate for our loved ones in situations like this. We are so worried about our loved ones and then have to fight the system. We women, are not use to having to put our "big girl panties" on, but by golly, we can do it. Keeping you two in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we can Cathie! Thanks for your kind comments.
      Juley

      Delete