Tuesday, December 9, 2014

It's All About the Details

Sorry we dropped off the face of the earth for a while. We have moved to the West Palm Beach area of Florida and have been so busy I haven't had time to post. Christmas is coming fast and we have been visiting with Rob's family. We are getting it all pulled together slowly but surely.  

The day after we arrived we started making arrangements to have the Little RV detailed and to have the repairs done from our "coning" incident. It looks like we may be here for another month if we can get a site (fingers crossed). Some parts will be needed for the repairs and they have to be shipped from DRV the manufacturer of our RV. At this point we have no idea how long the repairs might take. 
John Prince Park, boat launch
The campground we are in is very nice. It is a county park with mostly large sites and full hook-ups. The park is in the middle of the city but the surrounding day use park is so large it feels like you are far away from town. We haven't had time to take any photos of the park except a couple of quick shots with my phone but when we have some good ones we'll post them. 

I mentioned earlier we were making arrangements to get the Little RV detailed. I called around and got prices, asked about licensing and insurance, etc. I think I did all the right things. However, the experience turned into a fiasco.  

I was looking for a wash, including the roof and roof sealant as well as a good wax job and oxidation removal. The price I was quoted was $440. I asked what type of payment they accepted and was told cash, check or charge. The detailers showed up on Wednesday right on time. I talked with them at length about what was to be done and let them get started. Within 30 minutes the pressure washer died and they had to leave to get it repaired. 

Eventually they called and let us know they would not be able to come back until Thursday. I expected them at 9 am but they didn't actually arrive until 2:30 pm.
They did call to keep me posted during day about why they were running late.  

After they worked for a couple of hours Rob and I went outside to see their progress. At that point they had washed the roof and sealed it. They had also washed the body and were in the process of waxing. That was when we found out they had forgotten their ladder. How on earth do you wash a 13' 4" tall RV without a ladder?

The front end cap still had quite a bit of oxidation near the top and the sides of the slides had not been washed. When we asked him about what we were seeing he told us the paint on the front end was faded and he couldn't fix that and the slide sides aren't meant to be washed because when you are driving down the road they don't show. Seriously? That had to be the dumbest excuse I have ever heard in my entire life. He also told me I was nit-picking. 

They were running out of daylight and knew they couldn't finish so they were doing a really lousy job and trying to get done. We have a very tense conversation about the quality of their work and agreed to come back Saturday morning to make it right. I called the office and had a conversation with the woman who schedules the appointments and owns the franchise. She asked me to let them come back Saturday and let them finish the job and if we weren't satisfied we should call her before paying them. 

They arrived Saturday morning, offered what was supposed to be an apology, and started back at it. After working all day they finished at 4 pm. They did an outstanding job and we told them as much. That was when things fell apart again. 

I wrote a check but he wanted cash. He begged then demanded that I go to the bank and get cash. He wanted to follow me to a cash machine. I told him I had already asked the office and a check was fine. He even told me he was 50% owner in the business. I said no, we had company and this was prearranged and he could take the check. He was definitely trying to intimidate me. 

After he left I called the office again to let them know what had happened. She apologized profusely and told me he is not part owner and she would talk to him.  

Look at that shine!
However, the Little RV looks great and is protected from the harsh sun and that's a good thing. Now we can set up our yard and chill under the Florida palm trees.

3 comments:

  1. I thing if you had handed him the check with a $40 cash tip, he might have taken it. But maybe his rotten service wasn't worth tipping. Anyway, glad it finally looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I think tips should be given in relation to the total job done including the personal interactions. Even though the job was finally done well, all of the phone calls to the office, three days lost waiting around for them to do the job and just plain lying to me throughout the whole experience was more than enough to cause me to withhold any tips. So many workers now expect to be tipped regardless of their level of service or behavior. That said, when we do tip, we tip well.
      Juley

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you. I think the guy was probably expecting it, and got mad when it didn't materialize, so gave you an even harder time.

    ReplyDelete