Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Boys are Recovering in the Little RV

We're hanging out in Bismarck, ND.  We are camped at General Sibley Park right in Bismarck.  
It's a huge park on the Missouri River. There are no other sites near us so it feels like we have the place all to ourselves.  

I noticed there is a water line on all the trees on this side of the park so I went looking and found the park was badly flooded in 2011 when the Missouri River topped its banks.

Now about those recovering boys. Since Rob had those two teeth pulled in 4 weeks ago in Missoula, MT he has had ongoing problems with the healing process.  We finally got him an appointment yesterday and they pulled out a small but very sharp sliver of bone or tooth that had created a huge sore on the side of his tongue.  It felt better right away but the dentist put him on some antibiotics as well.  We are hopeful this will be the end of the tooth extraction problems.  

Grant has been struggling with his tummy issues.  A couple of weeks ago he stole a couple of bites of dog food from the outside bowl of the doggie in the next site. Whatever was in the dog food had a really bad effect on him. I suspect it contained several foods that he is allergic to. Basically he started with some pretty loud rumbling in his tummy.  Like wake the dead loud.  He was reluctant to eat but would eat little bits of hamburger. The next day he was in pain.  I'm told food allergies can trigger an arthritis flare-up. Grant has arthritis in one shoulder and the opposite hip.  Poor guy, he's been pretty gimpy for the last week. I've been giving him some pain medication but that is the only thing we can give him because most medications contain items he is allergic to.  There is an ant-inflammatory for dogs we would like to try but the manufacturer won't disclose the inactive ingredients to my vet so we are afraid to give him the medication. 

Grant's tummy has been getting better slowly.  We've been feeding him plain ground beef and pumpkin and he's doing fine.  His arthritis is still pretty bad. 
Unfortunately, yesterday our little chow hound managed to pilfer about 1/3 of a blueberry muffin including the paper wrap, from Rob's end table when he wasn't looking. We are waiting to see what the results of that little snack will be.

I, on the other hand, am perfectly fine. I've been doing some crocheting and I went shopping today!  There is a Hobby Lobby here in Bismarck and I went up and down every single aisle.  I got some room darkening drapery liner and plan to make curtains for our living room windows to help keep the temperature down in our little home. I also may or may not have purchased a skein of yarn or two.
Then I topped it off with a trip to Target and Starbucks.  

Friday we leave for parts east!

5 comments:

  1. My wife cooks for our three dogs. She buys ground turkey and cooks it and then ads vegetables, usually canned green beans, and Ramen Noodles. They seem to thrive on that diet and have been on it for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if you put in the flavoring that comes with the package of the ramen noodles? or do you give it to them plain?

      Delete
    2. Dizzy - I cook all of Grant's food too. Ground beef, green beans and quinoa. He is allergic to ALL commercial dog foods. Never thought of Ramen noodles but I'm sure he couldn't have them anyway. He is also allergic to duck, chicken, turkey and lamb. He can eat bison but it is so expensive.
      Juley

      Delete
  2. Juley, Carol again. After reading your recent post, I just had to share. If you'll go to our blog and click on RV'ing projects and then "beating the heat", that will tell you an awesome way to keep the heat off your windows. It's not that expensive and it will (DOES, believe me) lower the temp by 20 degrees inside. We love ours. That project tells all about how to do it. It might sound complicated at first, but really it's not. BW and I got it all together out on a picnic table.... We told our neighbors in Texas about it, after they bought a brand new RV, and they love theirs too. They can't believe how much cooler it is inside. AND you CAN see through it. It's a do-it-yourself project but there are some good folks out there that will do it for you! Good Luck, Hope it helps! Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I saw that post and I've seen the shades yours are based on. I love them and might have to make some for the winter when we are stationary for longer periods of time. I had some outdoor shades on our house made of that fabric. Great stuff! We are do-it-yourselfers so that is a project we can tackle.
      Thanks again!
      Juley

      Delete