Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Red Carpet Treatment for the Little RV

This campsite is
Grant Approved
Monday morning we packed up and headed east.  I put on my big girl panties and drove today. One thing I had not done is back the truck under the hitch so I showed Rob how to do my job and I did his.  I managed to back under on the first try! Yay!!  

It was a learning day for me.  We traveled on Hwy 12, a two lane highway that goes through canyons and along rivers.  I had some steep hills to drive up and then down again so I had to learn to use the engine brake and downshift at the right times.  I felt like I did OK.  

I scoured the interwebs on Sunday to find our next camp.  We are in a small Bureau of Land Management (BLM) campground along the Clearwater river in Idaho.  The campground is called Pink House Campground.  Before you ask, I haven't seen a pink house around here so I have no idea where the name came from.  

There are only 14 sites here so it is small and our site is right next to the highway so there is a fair amount of noise from the traffic.  The sites are big and there is one right on the river but it was taken.  

On our first trip around the campground loop to look for a site I didn't take the corner wide enough and got close enough to a couple of trees that we had to crawl by carefully. (OOPS! No trees, RVs, drivers or passengers were injured or died during this incident.)   

While we were assessing the tree situation the camp host came over and asked, "What are you doing way over there?".  I said, "Be nice, I'm learning."

Apparently that was all it took because he rolled out the red carpet and guided me to a space that was large enough for us and even directed me while backing the trailer into the site.  I thanked him for all of his help and he came by to check on us later.  
 
Here's the best part about this campground.  Since it's a BLM campground Rob can use his Access Pass for a 50% discount on the nightly rate.  We are paying $9 a night for a full hook-up campsite and we can stay up to 14 days.  
Rob chillin' in his swanky new chair
We set up camp and sat outside in our new camping chairs until it got too cold then suddenly chili sounded really good.  

Today we plan to go and check out the area.  Perhaps I'll have some photos to post tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Good job getting past the trees. I wasn't so lucky. Coming in my own driveway I side swiped a tree (which is not there now) and did $26,000.00 damage (first estimate). The RV has been in the shop ever since. The insurance company would only pay $17,000.00. Guess I am going to have to dicker with shop and get their price down. Maybe skip a few things that are not vital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, When we had our roof incident at Devil's Monument our insurance representative worked out an acceptable agreement with the shop. If the shop won't haggle, can you find another?
      Our repairs were $13,000.00. Good luck!
      Juley

      Delete