Sunday, March 23, 2014

Water, Water EVERYWHERE in the Little RV

Friday around noon we started working on the repairs to the front end of the Little RV. You may remember a few weeks ago we noticed the front end around the 5th wheel hitch was sagging.  You can read more about that here.  

We did a ton of research and purchased all of the supplies we needed to repair the collapsed area around the hitch and to reseal the trim around that entire area. 

Those supplies included putty tape to seal behind the trim strips and stainless steel screws to replace the rusted and broken screws. 

We chose ProFlex RV sealant for all of the seams and edges of the trim to keep water out.     
We also knew we needed to replace some insulation because we pulled out some that was soaked.  

My Dad came over to help us with this project because it seemed awfully daunting.  Before he arrived we took some of the trim apart and I did a lot of cleaning so the new sealant would adhere to the fiberglass.   

Once we really got started it became clear that we were in way over our heads. 
There was much more water damage than we ever imagined and the fiberglass had delaminated from the backing due to moisture.
But here is where it got out of control. We discovered water in the front end cap. At that point there was no way for us to continue.  It takes a big shop and many hands to dig into that huge cap. 
We decided to leave the area open because we were expecting dry and warmer weather for the weekend and we hoped it would dry out.  After I regained my composure I went inside to call our insurance company to see if by some miracle they might cover the repairs.   They took my information and I am expecting them to call tomorrow to schedule a time for the inspector to come out and take a look. From the sounds of it, if the damage was caused by some kind of failure it may be covered but if it is from neglect like the sealant not being properly maintained it won't be covered. I feel like we have a 50/50 shot at insurance covering the repairs.  

We did purchase a extended warranty / service agreement but it does not cover water damage.  

So here we are with the Little RV's proverbial fly open waiting for an inspection with only 8 days until we are due to leave.  

This morning when I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom I got just outside the bathroom door and stepped in a very cold, squishy spot in the carpet.  I flipped the light on and discovered the toilet bowl was completely full and was slowly trickling over. The thick, fluffy rug I keep in the bathroom had soaked up a huge amount of the water but it eventually began to seep into the hall carpet. 

I was able to toss the wet rug into the shower and get the water stopped. 
Cleaning up the water in the carpet was a fiasco and it's still not completely dry. Thank goodness it was clean water.  

RV toilets only fill with water when you push down or pull up on the foot leaver.  
Apparently we have a faulty valve in the flush mechanism.  We are watching it closely to make sure it doesn't happen again until we can get it fixed.  I believe our extended warranty will cover this repair but I'll have to call them tomorrow.

I keep wondering what the lesson is in all of this but I just can't figure it out.  We can't undo all that we have done in the past two years.  We can't just go back home and pick up where we left off because this is our home now.  We just have to move forward and make the most of things and try to deal with whatever happens next.   

Today was the most beautiful day of the year so far.  It was warm and sunny and tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Let's hope we get good news from the insurance company.  

2 comments:

  1. And here I thought I was having problems with my RV. Nothing that compares what you all have. I sure reel sorry for you all. Hope they can get it back to where it should have been when new. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really quite perturbing when mishaps like those hits. And it can be disorienting, since this water leakage will not only impact the flooring, but mobility as well. Hope you had that looked into and ensure your warranty, as well as repair.

    Prairie City RV

    ReplyDelete