Friday, October 25, 2013

Clementine's Guardian Angel

Someone has been on my mind a tremendous amount of the time lately.  Her name was Judi and she was the best friend I ever had.  Judi was the most practical, down to earth, logical and reasonable person I have had the pleasure to meet.  We met at work over 30 years ago but became friends when several of us from the office went to Reno for a long weekend.  We clicked and were dear friends from then on.  I called her Judith and she called me Juliette.

 Not long after that trip Judi was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She beat it that time and went 12 years cancer free before it came back.
Judi and Grant, her last Christmas with us

When Rob and I met Judi and I were already friends and they hit it off as well.  Judi spent a lot of time with us.  She would come and spend weekends and we would do projects around the house.  Major projects like deck building.  We had no idea what we were doing but we figured it out as we went along.  I have some awesome memories from those times.  

Judi wasn't so lucky the second time she was diagnosed.  Although she fought it for several years, when the cancer began to spread we knew she would eventually lose the battle.  We had an agreement that when the time came she would come to our house for her last days.  Judi has two grown children and I am so grateful to them for allowing me to keep that promise. She's been gone for several years not but the impact she made on my life and on the lives everyone she met can't be measured.  I miss her every day.


Why has Judi been on my mind so much these days?  Our newest granddaughter Clementine, was born on her birthday, October 1st.  I'm pretty sure Clementine has a very special guardian angel. 

4 comments:

  1. I bet Clementine does, too. What a great friend you had and a tragedy that she left this world so soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, I'm a better person for having known her. Apparently she was needed elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. That's such a sweet story of your treasured friend. What a blessing to have Clementine come into the world on Judi's birthday to remind you of her love. I'm sure she is watching over that little darlin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I know she is. Judi's in a better place for sure but I miss her.

      Delete