Monday, September 9, 2013

We're Celebrating our First Anniversary of Full-Time RV Living

One year ago today we set out on this crazy adventure.  We were wide eyed, wet behind the ears RV greenhorns.  Ha! (Don't tell anyone but sometimes we still are.)  

The first question most people ask us is what was our favorite place visited along the way.  I don't have a favorite and so many different places come to mind when I try to answer that question. Charleston, the tiny tunnel we drove the truck through... so many.
The other day I asked Rob if he had it to do over again, would he?  His answer was yes.  I would too.  Even if we knew about all of the problems we would encounter along the way the good times outweighed the bad by a long shot.

I also asked him what he would do differently.  He said he wouldn't buy a DRV Tradition.  Ditto!  We agree that we would buy a Class A RV rather than a 5th wheel because we think it would work better with his physical limitations.... and because it would be easier to back into a campsite. ;-)

The other big thing I wouldn't do is travel 10,000 miles in 10 months.  It's just way too much.  We are much more suited to a leisurely pace.  I'd love to spend more time in one place and I really want to boondock.  We've got some work to do before we can make that happen.  

One of the most highly recommended RV solar experts has a business right near here in Springfield.  We're planning to go and visit this week and see what we need in order to meet our power needs.  We have spent up to $1000 a month paying for campsites so I feel certain we can recapture the cost in site rental savings fairly quickly.   

We have started planning our next adventure starting in January.  This time we're heading south to California, Arizona, New Mexico and who knows where else we'll end up. Let year 2 begin!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the one year full timer aniversery. I wish you many, many more years of fun RVing. I love RVing but my wife insists we don't go full time.

    Just some advice if you decide to get a class-A motorhome. I did, and I just found out that if the GRW is over 26,000 pounds, you have have to have a class-B driver's license here in Texas and in a lot of other states, also. I have been driving this unit for a couple of years, but now I have to go take my driving test. Already passed the written one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dizzy...Wonder how many people driving through Texas in their Class A motorhomes know they need a Class B license? Sounds like a goldmine for the state police. Good luck on your test. I'm sure you'll ace it!

      Delete
    2. If they just stopped larger class-As, wouldn't that be profiling? I have never been stopped and I have it inspected every year and no living soul has mentioned it until that guy in the RV park and then my son also agreed with him. I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.

      Delete