Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Chapter Ends and a New One Begins for the Little RV

We will drive away from our sticks and bricks house for the last time tomorrow.  Yesterday we signed the papers for our short sale to be completed.  The buyer will sign today and the sale will be recorded on Thursday.  I did fine until we were driving away from the Escrow company.  That was when Rob asked me if I was OK and the dam burst.  

I don't even know if I can explain why I was so emotional about the end of this chapter in our lives.  I think it's fear of the unknown future awaiting us.  I don't like thinking about Rob's health in these terms but I know there is a high probability that I will be without him some day and then what? In reality it's likely that I'll be a middle aged woman, alone, with a giant truck and 5th wheel and a crazy dog.  Fortunately, I can drive the truck and pull the 5th wheel.  Yes, things could be much worse but let's not even go there. 
 
So, let's look on the bright side.  Tomorrow we move to a campground for a week.  We have some appointments next week and then we head for Portland.  We'll spend a few days with my daughter and her family, do some painting in her new house, make some curtains (and do some shopping in Portland) and then we move a bit further south to attend our annual family reunion.  After the reunion we head for the Eugene area for MORE RV REPAIRS.  

After the repairs are complete we are free to go wherever we choose.  Maybe Crater Lake or the beach, who knows.  Maybe we'll go to Montana's beautiful Glacier National Park or to Yellowstone or the Tetons.  But we will return to Portland toward the end of September for the arrival of our 5th grandchild who is due to arrive on October 1st. 

We have learned so much in this last year about how not to RV full time.  We really had an overly ambitious schedule and 10,000 miles in 10 months is just too much!   
This time we really want to find a place we love and stay until we get the itch to move again and see new sights.  We want to boondock as much as possible so we are away from RV parks.  None of us do "packed in like sardines" very well.  

So, we have officially reached the end of our tied down, home ownership chapter and the beginning of our free to go where we choose chapter.  I wonder how the rest of the book reads.

Now I have to go pump the black and gray tanks and get ready to leave in the morning.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the sell of your house and the beginning of your new adventers. Good luck and happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dizzy,
      We're ready to be on the move again. It's been good to get some things done while we have been stationary though.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the sale of your house! I'm familiar with how sentimental we can get when closing a chapter on an old familiar home. But how wonderful that you can now enjoy your adventures in the Little RV! None of us knows what lies ahead in life, and you and Rob are blessed to have this gift of time together traveling to new places, as well as familiar ones.

    Your whirlwind tour last year was rather overwhelming (the many miles on top of RV repairs and health bumps) and I'm sure it'll be nice to take a slower pace. Happy trails!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, It will be so nice not to have to worry about the house sitting here empty and wonder when we'll finally be free of that burden. Yes, we are very lucky that we are able to have this adventure and I try never to forget that. Once in a while those emotions creep up on me and I lose it. I always try to remember to count my blessings, I have so many!
      Juley

      Delete
  3. Only in our third week and sure had some ups and downs. Nice to read I wasn't the only one wondering about leaving home. We are going a bit slower and in a bit smaller rig but the majority of the time...I couldn't be happier. A few bumps messed us up but I'm on the mend! Anxious to read more on your boondocking...we're set up for it this winter...by then our feet should be plenty wet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cozygirl, I have had a few times when I stop and ask myself "What have I done?" It doesn't happen very often and the good always outweighs the bad. I don't think the learning ever ends when you RV. It's a constant education. Glad you're mending! That's no fun at all.
      Juley

      Delete