Sunday, June 23, 2013

"Home", the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Yesterday we pulled back into our home town after 10 months of full time RV living.  Unfortunately, we still own our house.  We have finally been given approval for a short sale by the bank and the house is under contract but nothing is final so we decided to park in our driveway.  It's tough to pass up the free site, after all. 

We set up the RV in the driveway and went over to have dinner with my parents.  It was so good to see them again. 

Last September when we drove away I never expected to come back to this house.  We emptied it completely and prepared it for a new family. 

When we decided to park here I was worried that it would be unsettling but I never expected to feel such a sense of loss being here.  It is only a house, lumber and drywall, right?  

I think it's the memories and all of the hard work we put into making it a beautiful home.  My dad and I remodeled the kitchen ourselves.  I built raised garden beds a couple of years ago for a kitchen garden and it was beautiful.  It took me weeks to move all of the dirt, build the beds and finish it just the way I wanted it. 

Rob spent countless hours woodworking in his shop making beautiful things.

 Life changes though and we move on.  Perhaps it was a mistake to park here at the old house.  Maybe it's the final step in letting it all go.  I guess I'll know which it is later. 

The Little RV is our home now and that was our choice, one that we jumped into wholeheartedly. The last 10 months have given us memories and experiences we'll never forget.
Wherever it is, it is our home.

4 comments:

  1. Juley......welcome home to Washington! They say home is where the heart is and I'm sure your heart is in the Little RV too. Memories are powerful and the pull can be difficult but you followed your dreams and are with the one you love, blessed I'd say. What now for the two of you? RoxieAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There!
      We are here temporarily. We'll be in and out through Christmas and then we head south, most likely to San Diego. We have a lot of medical stuff to attend to and Christina is due on October 1st. We'll be spending Christmas here too. I'll be making medical appointments today and then we'll have a better idea of how much time we have in between so we can make plans. Glad to know you're following along!
      Juley

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! I'm surprised your house never sold. Seemed like it would have sold right away. Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul!
      Our house was listed for sale in April of 2012. It's been 15 months. I hoped it would sell fast. It is a beautiful house. Hopefully all will be finished within 30 to 45 days. It will be good to put that chapter behind us.
      Juley

      Delete