Saturday, May 25, 2013

Water Woes in the Little RV

I found the awful smell!  

The other day when we picked up the Little RV after the repairs were finished there was an awful smell in here.  Well there were actually two awful smells.  If you missed that post you can read it here.  It's the carpet!  To be more specific, it is about a square foot area in the living room.  Apparently it has gotten wet from the slide leaking more times than we ever knew.  It smells like a moldy, wet dog.  It was pouring rain when we took the RV to the shop on Tuesday.  I'm thinking that is when it got wet and stayed wet enough to mildew. 

We had the RV washed right before we left Arkansas.  In fact he was washing it while I was inside putting things away.  We stayed Thursday night in Tulsa.  When we got set-up in Tulsa I noticed the carpet was wet in two places again.  The living room where the slide edge sits when it is in and the bedroom in the same place.   Both were at the end of the slide toward the back end of the RV.  It had not rained when we were traveling during the day.  Somehow water is still getting in. 

That night it rained hard and the next morning when we put the slides in a tremendous amount of rain water ran off the slides on both sides.  I'm not sure how that much water could collect on the slide roofs, but it did.  After we arrived here in Kansas yesterday I noticed the living room wet spot was larger and even more wet.  I called Wheels RV and explained the situation.  They told me it was normal.  I'm not buying it.  The saga continues.


We were up at 5am today.  Why? you ask.  Rob got up to visit the little boy's room and there was no water.  Lights started to come on and being the incredibly light sleeper that I am, I was awake and asking what was going on.  

I said, "just flip the switch and use the fresh tank".  Rob said, "no, I want to see what's going on".  He got dressed and went outside.  Of course Grant went along to assist.  

I laid in bed for a long time.  I heard him open the bay door under our bed so I got up and opened the window to see what was going on.  Apparently sometime after we went to bed last night our water hose blew out.  


I learned later this morning, when the camp host was making his round last night about midnight he discovered that we were flooding the place so he turned our water off.  The hose broke at a spot where it had been repeatedly kinked and was weak.

We have a spare hose (or two) so we changed the hose and came back inside.  Since we were awake we watched the news and had some coffee.  At around 7am Rob went back to bed and I showered and headed to the closest town, Arkansas City, KS, which is about 20 miles away.  We were getting low on groceries and I also needed to fill up the truck for our departure tomorrow.  

I have a love, hate relationship with Walmart.  How can you not love a place that has EVERYTHING?  The prices are certainly good and often they are the only store to be found in some of these rural places we visit.  But, when I go there alone I end up spending 2 hours browsing every isle in the store. Today I was alone.  

There are things I have needed to pick up for months, like an oven thermometer, a nail set, some filters to keep the dirt and grass out of our heating vents.  You know what I mean.  I never seem to remember those things when I'm at the store.  

After my marathon at Walmart, I loaded up the truck and started for home, stopping for diesel along the way.  Diesel is less than regular gas in Kansas.  That is the first time I have seen it lower for years.  

It was after 11 am when I got back and it was nearly 2pm when I finished putting it all away, cutting up melons, doing dishes and making meatballs to cook in the slow cooker all afternoon.  I was a bit cranky by then so I decided I needed a time out.  

I'm doing a bit of laundry and generally getting things ready to go for tomorrow.  Just wish I knew where we are going.  It will be north, west or northwest.  That's the best I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you have awnings that come out with your slides? I have four slides and each one has a cover over it except the one under the main awning. So, if I want it covered, I have to extend the main awning just far enough to cover it.

    I sure enjoyed our trip to the Davis Mountains and the Catapillar Diesel performed great, that is until I knocked the fuel filter off. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours didn't come with slide awnings but we may need to get some installed. Even without them, we shouldn't be leaking like this, should we? Ugh! Glad you had such a nice trip and were able to get out and RV for a while.

      Delete