Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Little RV has One of Those Days

Do I look cranky?
When I started writing this blog I promised myself I would write about the good, the bad, the ugly and even the embarrassing.   


Last night I discovered I had made a major miscalculation in our trip planning.  Rob has his heart set on going to Everglades National Park.  When we were researching where to camp I noted two entrances to the park, one near Homestead near the east coast and one close to Naples where we are.  Unfortunately, those roads don't meet in the middle.  If we want to go to the major part of the park, we'll have to go back across the state and I don't think that's going to happen. 

Today wasn't the best of days for me.  My day started as it always does, I took Grant out for his morning business.  It was about 7:30 am.  If you are a regular reader you know that Grant is a very complex creature.  Let's just be blunt here, he's a nervous wreck of chronic neuroses.  We started out the door and the first thing he did was to  start barking so I pulled him back in and we waited for the coast to clear.  After that he was a twitchy mess.  I'm not sure why he is that way some days.  

When things looked clear, we headed out again.  We made it to the empty lot a few sites down and did a little stroll around and then he was determined to go home with his business unfinished.  So back we went.  

Along the way we encountered another resident walking his dog.  Grant immediately flipped out and started barking.  I bent down to shush him and put my hand around his snout.  He immediately started squealing like I had beaten him. I don't know what it was that hurt him, maybe I trapped his tongue between his teeth, I have no idea.  He stopped several times on the way home to squeal and scratch his face.  When we got home I check him over but I couldn't find anything wrong.  He's been fine since we got home but I feel just awful. 

By the time Rob got up, I was so frustrated.  Between the Grant incident and the park entrance debacle, I was feeling pretty bad.  Add the fact that the air outside was so damp and so humid I never wanted to go outside again, Rob was doomed to dealing with an emotional wreck of a wife today.   

We showered and had coffee and then decided to go do some sightseeing.   But first, I really needed some tasty iced tea so we hunted down a Starbucks then we drove to Collier-Seminole State Park and were greeted by a metal gate.  We couldn't get in.  Seriously?  We turned around and drove on toward Marco Island.  The island is beautiful, crowded and very upscale.  There is absolutely no place to park a smart car and we were in our dually.  Every park, beach, or other place we tried to go had a no dogs sign prominently posted at the entrance.   Clearly this was not the place for us.  

As we headed out of town we found a little pull-off and stopped to let Grant out for a bit.  Hey, it wasn't snooty Marco Island but it had sand and water and we were the only ones there.

We headed back home and sat out in the sun for a   while.  My while was much shorter than Rob's. Rob is of Armenian decent so he never burns but gets really dark, really fast.  I am of Irish decent and I burn fast so I had to move to the shade of the awning after about 20 minutes.  
Under the awning of the Little RV
Rob eventually went in for an afternoon siesta.  I stayed outside in the shade reading and chatting with my daughter and then a friend on the phone.  When I finally went inside it was 4:20 and when I went upstairs I discovered Rob was having a low blood sugar crash.  He was completely out of it.  Back to the kitchen for OJ and the blood sugar meter.  His blood sugar was 37.  It's supposed to be between 70 and 120.  A reading of 37 is extremely and dangerously low.  He had sweat pouring down his back and the bed was saturated.  I got the juice and some candy into him and his reading started to climb into a more comfortable level.  After this happens Rob has no memory of the event and is completely exhausted, sometimes for an entire day.  

All I can think about is what if I hadn't come in when I did.  Again I felt really bad that I was outside having the most pleasant afternoon.  At least he didn't have seizures this time. He slept for hours then got up for a shower and I changed the sheets. I had done a couple of loads of laundry and when he was in the shower he yelled that the water was backing up into the shower.  He apparently forgot to open the gray tanks when we set-up yesterday.  I had to run outside to open the tanks so the water would flow!  
  
Yes, it was one of those days.  We must have a better day tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You have to have a bad day once in awhile to better enjoy the good ones. Of course my old Daddy used to tell me that nothing was ever so bad it can't her worse (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with your Daddy. Been there, done that. NOT THIS TIME! Today will be better. Onward and upward.

      Delete