Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chicken Tikka Masala - Low Sodium Version

We love Indian food.  My absolute favorite is chicken tikka masala.  What's not to love?  It's spicy, rich and thick and oh so good served over basmati rice and with a steamy chunk of naan.  




Indian food, like most food prepared in restaurant is normally very high in sodium.  One serving of chicken tikka masala from a restaurant contains more then 700 mg of sodium.  I adapted a recipe found online to suit our tastes and Rob's dietary requirements.  I also love to use my slow cooker so I wanted something I could make in it.  My slow cooker is a combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, that browns and even pressure cans 1/2 pint jars.  I can prepare most of this recipe in the slow cooker.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced 

1 jalapeno pepper diced very finely

Saute onion in olive oil until translucent then add garlic and saute for another minute to two.  Add the following;

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger 

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons paprika 

Mix well and add the following;

1 (14 ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce
1/2 cup cream

1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt

Warm through and blend until smooth.  I use an immersion or stick blender but you can use a blender or food processor too. Continue to simmer the sauce while you brown the chicken. 


1 tablespoon oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken cut into bite-size pieces (I use thighs)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder 


Heat the oil in a saute pan.  Add the diced chicken, sprinkle the curry power on and brown the outsides of the chicken but don't cook through.  Once the chicken is browned add it to the sauce and simmer at least until the chicken is cooked through.  The longer you simmer, the better it tastes. This is why I like to use the slow cooker.  I can leave it to simmer for as long as I like. 


Makes 6 servings with 81mg of sodium in each serving.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe! I have it simmering in the crock pot right now.

    ReplyDelete