Sunday, February 10, 2013

What I've Learned About Florida Just Four Days After the Arrival of the Little RV

So we've been here four whole days and I have discovered Florida is a different kind of place.  These are my observations so far.
  • It's not the South although it is located in the Southern United States. It is really just a warm place filled with people from the North East and Canada with a few locals sprinkled in. 
  • There are no Southern accents. There are mostly Hispanic, French and New England and New York accents.
  • After running the water through two filters it can pass for drinkable but it is not cold.
  • There are a lot of old men who choose not to wear shirts here. 
  • It stays warm all night.
  • Everything is painted in pastels.
  • There are horrible thorny seed pods hiding in the grass and in turn, hiding in Grant's fur. They are very unpleasant to step on.
  • Following the rules while driving seems to be completely optional.
  • Defrosting the freezer is done in a snap.
  • The black leather seats in the truck get really hot. 
  • If you want to shop, this is the place.  They have EVERYTHING here.  
  •  
This morning I took this photo while walking Grant at sunrise.  For a few minutes I completely forgot about the old men without shirts.
 

4 comments:

  1. What an incredible picture. It would take my mind off everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I took it with my cell phone camera. That thing is great!

      Delete
  2. I love your observations of Florida. It has been a long, long time since I have been there (back in the 1950's) but I now live in East Texas just north of Houston. Big difference from my home state of Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Dizzy! This is an interesting place for sure. We'll be heading through Texas eventually on our way back up to Washington. It's been many years since I've been there so I'm interested to observe the natives there.
      Juley

      Delete