Friday, February 1, 2013

A Very Long Travel Day for the Little RV

The package we were waiting yesterday for arrived at 11:40 am.  We had decided if it arrived before noon we would continue south.  We had a pretty ambitious day planned as it was.  The trip from Mount Airy, NC to Charleston, SC is 310 miles and we had planned on 6 - 7 hours of driving.   We were hooked up and on the highway at 12:18 where we encounter a huge sign that says "I 77 SOUTH CLOSED".  Why?  Permanently?  Temporarily?  Is there a detour? There was absolutely no other information to be had.  We planned to take I77 south for most of the day.  What to do?  We decided to continue on to I 77 and see what would happen.  

I scoured the North Carolina DOT website and found that there was an accident about 30 miles south and it looked like we could take a detour around that section of the interstate.  We came around a corner and this is what we saw.  This went on for at least 5 miles.
The overpass you see way ahead was the exit we were planning to use to detour the closure.  As it turns out, there was a semi-truck accident and both lanes were closed.  Our detour plan was successful and we got back on I77 south of the accident.  Finally up to the actual speed limit and away we went... for a while.  All afternoon we encountered traffic delays.  We inched our way south through Charlotte, NC and Columbus, SC.  Finally I77 came to an end and we merged onto I26 heading for Charlotte and what do we see, you ask??
We finally arrived at our campground at nearly 8:30 PM.  We found our way to our site and got leveled, unhitched, and hooked up to the utilities.  When I finally got inside I was greeted by my largest cabinet door hanging by one very bent hinge.  The cabinet contents had spilled out and there was quite a mess.  
Left: The door sitting on the floor                Right: The cabinet without the door.

Apparently the door had enough travel too.  Rob and I got the door off and I cleaned up the mess, heated up some dinner, fed Grant and went to bed. 

This morning when I got up there was this;
and this;
Charleston sunrise
and this; 
and all was right with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment