Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Putting on my Big Girl Panties in the Little RV

Today I was very, very brave.  We left Effingham, Illinois early this morning and headed for Elkhart, Indiana which is about a 300 mile drive.  It seems that Rob has been more willing to let me drive lately.  I know he's tired because we've been going for several days straight.  After we'd been on the road for an hour or so, he asked me if I wanted to drive for a while.  We stopped at a rest area and switched seats.  The route we had mapped out goes through the outskirts of Chicago and I knew the traffic would be heavy there so in the back of my mind, I thought we'd switch back before Chicago.  

The first test of my courage came in the form of road construction.  They have miles of highway narrowed down to one lane flanked by cement walls.  Add two feet to the width and about 40' of length of your car or SUV and imagine driving through such narrow lanes.  SCAREY! Take deep breaths!  Relax!  

The second test, a toll booth.  In Washington State we have almost no toll roads.  Out here, there are many.  The lanes at the ticket booths are not particularly wide either but we made it through alive and dent/scratch free!


As it turned out, we didn't switch back so I put on my big girl panties and went for it.  I mean, have you seen some of the people behind the wheel of a semi? If they can do it, so can I.  I did just fine.  I was a bit nervous but it wasn't bad at all.   

Tonight we are in Elkhart.  This is the epicenter of the RV universe.  There are many RV manufacturers located right here.  We're going to have some things done to the RV to make it work better for us.  Hopefully we'll only be here for a couple of days and we can continue East.   Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment