Saturday, October 20, 2012

Catching up on "Things" in the Little RV

We're still in Cuba, New York. It was so nice to have a day without moving.  I was able to get several loads of laundry done and work on a couple of problems I've been having with the RV.  They are silly things but annoying.  Things I've been saying "I have to fix that" about for weeks.  

Thing 1;
When we stop and get set-up we have to turn the water heater on.  The switch is dark and there is no indicator of which position is on and which is off.  I always think I remember but yesterday, I got it wrong and we ran out of hot water.  Problem solved.
Now I realize how silly this seems but when your memory starts to go, these things are important. 

Thing 2 (this one is a bit more serious);
I have a large cabinet in my kitchen with a pull out shelf on the bottom.  The shelf holds our coffee equipment.  I must confess, I'm a latte' addict.  

I gave up a ton of things to move into the Little RV but I couldn't part with my espresso machine.  So here's the deal.  When we move the weight of the items on the shelf pushes on the door and it comes open.  When we park, we find stuff all over.  Spices on the couch and floor, coffee mugs on the floor.  It's not pretty.  Yesterday I had to vacuum up spices because the bottle came open.  When we were in Indiana I picked up some cabinet catches.  The first style didn't work but this one will do the trick I'm thinkin'.  Guess we'll find out when we stop tomorrow.

 
We did go out for a short ride today.  It rained quite a lot so we were dodging rain showers but it was a pretty drive.  There are a lot of Amish here.  We've seen several buggies on the road since we arrived yesterday.  Today we met with one on the highway.  
It's one of those things you see on TV but never in person.  I guess I don't get out much.

I've been hunting for a place to camp tomorrow night and not having much luck.  Most of the campgrounds in the area we were planning on staying are closed for the season.  I remembered that we joined Harvest Hosts.  If you've never heard of it, you can read about it at http://www.harvesthosts.com/ . It's a group of winerys and farms that allow self-contained RVs to overnight on their property.  We'll do a little shopping in their business to thank them for the camping spot.  There are several in the area we are planning to stop tomorrow.  There will not be any hookups so we'll have to make sure we have a full water tank.  We have a generator, 4 batteries and two full propane tanks so we should be all set.  Wish us luck!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment