Friday, August 3, 2012

First Trip - 6 Days and Counting

My husband Rob and I have been working hard at emptying our house of all of our belonging for several months.  During that time we bought a new truck and 5th wheel, put our house on the market and as of today, we sold my car.  My last day of work is next Thursday, August 9th.  I'll be officially retired at 49!  


Our maiden voyage will be a fairly short trip.  That's a good thing because we have no idea what we are doing.  We are completely new to the RV life.  We both love to travel but due to Rob's health, we just can't travel in the traditional way any more.  Flights, walking, high sodium foods, and altitude cause all sorts of havoc in his system.  Often enough havoc to put him in the hospital.  What better way to control all of this than to bring our own home along with us?  We can control our food, use any medical equipment necessary, rest when he needs to and still travel where ever we like.  


That said, we're heading to Oregon for my family's annual reunion.  After the reunion we'll be heading for the beach with my parents, daughter and her family for a few days.   


When we purchased our 5th wheel, Rob drove it home from the dealer.  It's about a 5 hour drive.  That is the sum total of our RV experience.  Tomorrow my Dad, who was a truck driver for many years is taking me out to help me get started driving the truck and pulling the RV.  I'm a bit terrified. Wonder if Dad is terrified too?  We'll have to let you know if anyone is maimed or killed during my driving lesson.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment